Wednesday 7 November 2018

Crossing Cultures: Greetings From Beautiful Singapore

“I have found that there are three stages to every great work of God; first it impossible, then it is difficult, then it done.” Hudson Taylor

One of my weaknesses is my love for bibles.  When I go to any library or bookshop, the first thing that catches my attention is a bible.  Last Wednesday I happened to go the library here at the OMF International Centre here in Singapore.  And true to myself, I looked at a few books but ended up in the bibles section almost immediately.  But these bibles were not my regular kind of bibles.  For starters, they were not in my language or a language I understand.  They were not even in a script I understand.  As I took one to look at, I found out that it was a Khmer Bible (the language and culture I am going to in Cambodia).  So I was even more interested and started going through it.  As I perused it, I could not tell whether I was in Psalms or Genesis or Ezekiel and neither could I tell the number of the chapters.  But something interesting happened, I got really emotional and I started crying.  So I put the bible down and left the library prematurely.

At this point I know you are wondering why I got too emotional of at a Khmer Bible.  I also wondered and as I continued to process my thoughts and my feelings, I realized that I have been thinking a lot about crossing cultures to the Khmer Culture.  I have many mixed emotions.  Let me see if I can share a few with you here.  Top of the list is my love for the Cambodian people – I feel an affection to a people I have never met and as I process my thoughts and my feeling, I am asking myself, will I still love them when I see them?  Will my heart still go out to them when I see them in the next two weeks?  Even more scary to ask, will they love me?  Will they accept me? How long will it take for me to learn their culture and their language?  Will I ever be at home within the Khmer culture? 

Isaac giving us his testimony outside his jewelry
shop at Tekka Market in Little India, Singapore
But as I consider my uncertainties of crossing into a new culture, it would be wrong of me not to mention how God has continued to encourage me in many different ways.  First, during our cultural plunge experience on Wednesday, my group and I were sent to Little India.  Singapore has a very rich and diverse culture and they in fact have four national languages.  As we went through the markets and streets in Little India, we could not help but observe the rich Indian heritage.  One of my highlights was meeting Isaac who happens to be a believer in a jewelry shop.  It was very encouraging to meet him because I did not expect to meet a believer there at all.  I felt like God was telling me that he has a remnant everywhere.  Isaac told us that he came to faith through dreams of Jesus and now he evangelizes to those around him.  Praise God!

Braiding Lois' slippery hair
Second, on Saturday I got an opportunity to braid one of my fellow Orientation member’s daughter’s hair.  Someone, may wonder, why would that be an issue?  Well, if you come from Kenya, then braiding hair is not out of the ordinary.  But then braiding “slippery” is a cross-cultural experience not only for the little girl who was braiding her hair for the first time but for me who braided “slippery” hair for the first time.  But it is really all about hair?  I don’t think so.  The little girl admired my hair and wanted her hair done the same way.  It showed me not only appreciation for me but also for my culture.  I was so encouraged that she would endure a whole two hours to have her hair braided by a “stranger” or am I?
Speaking to Buddhist monks
outside a Hindu Temple in Little 
India, Singapore.

The third thing God used to encourage me is a whatsapp message from one the girls I was discipling in Campus in Kenya.  Here is what she wrote “….However you have been on my mind all through.... You came to my life and made everything beautiful... Today i approach this life differently..today i am more wise,  today my relationship with Jehovah is not as it used to be,  today i am better because you came through.”  This encouraged me because as I thought about crossing cultures, it will probably be a long time before someone could say these words to me.  It would be a long before I could share the gospel in a culturally appropriate manner in the Khmer language.  But when I remember of what God has used me to do in the past, I am encouraged that he is able to do it again in the future despite the time it will take.  For now, I have to let God shape me more into his image as I observe the culture around me and as he strips me of my prejudices.

So while I consider the above quote by Hudson Taylor, that which seems impossible right now in term of culture and language learning, will eventually be done through God’s strength.

So:-
  • Praise God for Isaac and others like who are reflections of God’s light in a very dark world.  Pray for boldness as he shares Jesus - he told us that people hate him because he preaches Jesus to them.
  • Thank God for how he encouraged me through Isaac’s story.  Pray that I will continue to notice God’s work of grace in my life and in the lives of those around me since he is always working (John 5:17)
  •  Pray for God’s enablement as I transition from Singapore to Cambodia on Nov 20th and as I learn the language and culture of the Khmer people.  Pray that I will fit well within the OMF team in Cambodia and for a language and culture helper.




No comments:

Post a Comment